HCV and HIV

Hi Dr. Mcgovern I would like to say thanks for working hard for many people. I love the things that you have done. I am a man from Thailand. I had unprotected oral sex with an American man(unknow his status on HIV) about 5 mins in June 2007. Next day, I had anti-hiv test as the based line. The result was borderline by Elisa and negative by rapid test. A doctor decided to give me PEP for 28 days. After stopped PEP (one month after oral sex), I had PCR-RNA and Elisa test the result were both negative. I know it is stupid to have the tests in this time. After stopped PEP two months (3 months after oral sex), I had Elisa test so the result was negative. After stopped PEP 3 months, I had Elisa test so the result was negative. In this time I decided to test Hepatitis B and C. the result for Hep B was negative but Hep C was weakly positive. My doctor wanted me to test HCV PCR and the result was negative by HCV PCR-RNA.

After stopped Pep 5 months (6 months after oral sex) I had anti-hiv test, Hep B and C all came up Negative.

After stopped Pep 6 months (7 months after oral sex) I had PCR DNA test for HIV. I was Negative. After stopped Pep 8 months(9 months after oral sex) I had anti-hiv test. The result was negative.

I would like to ask u that 1. Could I stop worrying about HIV and HCV? 2. Why a doctor in the body said that for some people who received post-exposure prophylaxis, some feel testing should be done out to 12 months, as the treatment may delay seroconversion. Should I have anti-hiv and HCV test at 12 months after exposure again? 3. Is it possible I could get inflect Hep C that cause my seroconvert delay? Please answer me 4. Am I far from any sexual desiease? 5. Could you please tell me how to donate for your organization?

I am so glad that you have found the site helpful!

I would first like to say that HCV risk is mainly from traumatic sex or sex in the context of genital ulcers. I would not expect you to get hepatitis C from oral sex.

As far as I know, the only recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control for testing for HIV after 12 months is in patients who also develop acute hepatitis C infection, which may delay HIV seroconversion.

I would say: "You are done with testing".

elevated cholesterol
can two hepatitis b patients get married?