HEP C-GENOTYPE 4-HELP

Dear Dr.Govern,

My brother has hep c, genotype 4 and he will start treatment next week with pegasys once a week and copegus 6 pills per day. How easy is treatment for genotype 4 and how long after the first shot the side effects go easier to a patient>

Thank you in advance for your time

Kind Regards Sophie

Genotype 4 is a bit easier to treat than genotype 1 but not as easy as genotype 2 or 3 infections.

The flu like symptoms can dissipate after just a few weeks and not everyone gets them. However, other symptoms can endure for the entire treatment period, such as fatigue and loss of appetite. Your brother needs to be aware that the treatment can affect his mood so he should let his physician know if he is aware of depressive feelings or mood swings.

I would obtain a HCV RNA just before the fifth shot to see how his virus is responding and I would emphasize the importance of every single dose of ribavirin and interferon. Adherence really matters.

When a person who cotntracts HCV is infective to others?
Reinfected or different strain?