Apr 28, 2008
i shared a straw while doing cocaine with someone i don't know too well. there was no blood on it but i know it could have been microscropic. is my risk high for hepc? im really scared. i know im an idiot!
| Response from Dr. McGovern
There are no good percentages for risk of transmission of HCV through this route. However, I suspect it is low. In theory, you would need to have the bloody part of the straw communicate with some small area of bleeding from your nose to have a significant chance of transmission. It seems unlikely. You can certainly get tested and follow-up, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. The study that originally described this route did not ask patients about injection drug use, which would be the much higher route of risk.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Hep C From Accidentally Sharing Drinking Straw
- Cold Feet After Anal Sex Top Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Balls After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rectal Bleeding After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore On Penis After Rubbing Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.