viral load

I tested positive for hep c antibodies and then had a viral load test. My result came back at 56,600 my doc said I am fine its too low to be considered active and I should retest in 6mos. Is this right? If I have 56,000 doesnt that mean I am still infected and should treat it as such?

The level of the hepatitis C virus does not tell you anything about the degree of disease. Yes you are infected and should have further evaluation.

Since your level is so low however, I would wonder if it is at all possible that you got your hepatitis C recently. If your onset of risk was within the past six months or so, then I would certainly repeat it to see if you are clearing your virus on your own. If your risk was years ago, you are still in good shape since you are "controlling" your viremia and you will be a great treatment candidate. Your chance of responding to treatment is extremely high.

Missed Hep Shot
hep c