HCW Hep B

Hi, I am a dentist. I had my booster engerix B about a year ago & 4 weeks after the vaccination I went for quantitative anti HBs & it came out >1000mIU/ml. This was on 29th May last year. Just a week ago I retested in order to determine my immune status to provide to my new employer & this time it came out 198 IU/L. Do u think it is possible that antibody levels to hep B can fall so low in less than a year? The tests have been conducted at different labs & are also expressed in different units. I spoke with my physician & asked this latest test to be repeated & it came out 200 IU/L , what do you think ? should I go in for yet another test at a new lab? I know that I am immune but the count will dictate when I get my booster again. If these are the correct results, when do you think Ill need a booster. I have had my 3 shots & a booster at five years. (the booster I mentioned earlier) Thanks & cheers Amit Kapoor

You are correct in wondering if perhaps the decline is also somewhat inflated due to different laboratories and assays. However, with a level of 10 IU being protective, you are nowhere near that and I would simply check again in about one year. If you are uncomfortable that you may be waiting too long, a simple blood test in six months will give you a better idea of the decay of antibody levels.

vaccine
When do I need treatment?