For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

New Partner and being safe

Hello Dr. McGovern,

My partner and I are both very responsible and decided to be tested for HIV earlier this year when we began dating. Our tests came back negative, however he was not tested for Hepatitis C. I've felt a bit concerned as he had a tattoo in the early 80's. Is this something I should feel worried about and follow up with a test?

Thanks for your advice!

I think it may be prudent to test although the likelihood is probably low. The official tatoo parlors now are more regulated than in the past.

surrogate and Hcv