HIV+ HBV+ & Pregnancy

Wonder if you can help me -

I am HIV+ (Cd4 650 VL 3000 no meds) and my partner is also HIV+ (CD4 350 VL 3500 no meds). He is also HepB+ - although as yet we don't know if its Chronic.

I was vaccinated HepB about 3 months before my partner and I got together. I recently asked for them to check the status of my vaccination and my doctor said 'its less than 10 so at your next bloods we'll give you a booster'

So - basically am I vaccinated or am I still at risk? We'd like to start trying for a baby...

Hope my question makes sense!

Excellent question.

Your doctor is concerned because the antibody level is not high enough to be protective against HBV. That is why he is recommending a booster.

If the booster does not work, sometimes a double dose of vaccine for another new series will help.

Also it is important to find out if your partner has virus circulating in his bloodstream, which correlates with risk of transmission of HBV.

The new guidelines for HIV suggest antiretroviral treatment of patients like your partner - The USPHS guidelines suggest use of HIV meds that have dual activity against HIV and HBV.

about hbv
quick question please