For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Too late for Hep B vaccination

Hi, I had a possible exposure on Jan 3rd. I tested at 34 days negative for surface and the paper just said negative. It's now been 2 1/2 months since possible exposure. I plan to get retested in a couple weeks. 1. How reliable is 34 day test results? 2. Is it too late to get vaccinated?

The incubation period for HBV is long so you will need further testing. It is too late after exposure for vaccine to prevent infection from this past exposure; however, I would still discuss vaccination with your health care provider to prevent future exposures, since hopefully, this last exposure will not lead to infection.

Hepatitis B