hepatitis B

Dear Ms McGovern,

Would you , please, briefly comment on my present, 2008 lab results: HB Surface Ag is 0.0059 Nonreactive and HB Surface Ab is 267.11 Reactive. In 1999 I was treated for tuberculosis and had Drug hepatitis. However, in 1999 I also had HB surface Ag negative, but HB surface Ab 675.2 reactive as well as increased ALT and AST. Now, my Alt, Ast and Billirubin are ok.

Yet, I was not treated for Hep B in 1999.

What is my cindition now? Am I an inactive carrier? Do I have a chronic Hep B or other liver desease?

Thank you a lot, Marya (33 years old)

I can't say what your hepatitis B "state" is. If you are tested for core antibody and are positive, then you cleared your hepatitis B in the past.

If your core is negative, then you were vaccinated in the past.

Either way, with a nonreactive HB surface antigen, you do NOT have chronic liver disease.

Your flares of ALT on TB therapy were probably drug related, which is quite common.

HCV and HBV transmition
DNA test