HCV question??????

Dr McGoverm,

Thank you for your time reading this question.

I would like to know if there is a window period for testing positive for hep c??? I did std and hiv testing and everything came back negative, is there special testing for hep c???? I am not a idu, I am scared of needles. I just made a bad sexual decision.

Thank you.

There are two STDs that effect the liver - Hepatitis B and C. Hepatitis B can be spread through sex relatively easily. You should see if you were vaccinated and if not - get vaccinated.

Hepatitis C is uncommonly spread through sexual transmission. There are increasing numbers of cases of acute HCV in men who have sex with men. The risk of transmission seeems to go up in association with trauma or in the presence of other ulcers.

Unfortunately, there is still no vaccine for HCV.

You can discuss your risk with your physician and your immunization status to determine what other testing should be done.

elevated liver enzymes
hepa b antibody