HIV & HBV

HI

Iam HIV+ not on meds yet and diagnosed recently with HBV as well my VL= 136000 and my liver function is normal when i asked my hep specialist today if i have chronic infection and active virus he said ( in his words) i can`t say now i should follow ur case every 3 months with PCR and liver function tests to get clear answer after 6 months!!!! my questios as follows:

1) is that true ican`t get answer to my question until 6 months mark to know clearly about that?

2) whats the common ( ART) treatment i can use for both HIV & HBV coinfection?

3) HBV VL= 136000 is it high or normal average?

4) any HBV meds could make in the future drug resistance if any to HIV meds?

5) do u think i should make more tests like alt or biopsy to be sure of my liver condition?

thanks in advance MALE HIVer

All great questions!

Your doctor is trying to say that he does not know if your disease is chronic until he has followed your tests over six months. In other words, if you just got infected recently, you may actually clear on your own without treatment.

However, if your HIV doctor thinks it is time to start your HIV medications, then you don't necessarily have to wait. The newest treatment guidelines are more liberal about starting HIV medications in someone who also has HBV, since you can treat both effectively at once.

I prefer to use Truvada as part of your HIV regimen so you will have at least two active drugs against HBV (tenofovir and emtricitabine, which are coformulated in one pill).

Your viral load should be followed until it becomes suppressed - hopefully in six months.

I think a liver biopsy is useful to know how much disease someone has to start. That is my personal preference for someone with abnormal liver function tests.

Hope this helps.

HIV+/HBV Chronic can I take steroids
hbv dna test