Feb 29, 2008
Dear Doctor, Why is it so common that HIV infected people will also contract HCV? Or should it be the other way round?
Response from Dr. McGovern
HIV and HCV share common modes of transmission - mainly injection drug use and less commonly (in the case of HCV) sexual transmission.
In patients who acquire their infections through injection drug use, HCV is usually the first infection.
In patients who acquire their infections sexually, HIV is usually the first infection.
- What Does Smelly Watery Vaginal Discharge Mean?
- Are Body Itch, Joint Pain, Numbness HIV Symptoms?
- Difference In Hiv Risk Between Kiss And Insertive Oral Sex
- Positive For Hepatitis Affecting HIV Test
- Recommended Cut Off Values For The Elisa Techniques
- Reported Cases Of Transmission By Hand Job
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.