abacavir and treatment

Hi Dr. McGovern:

I have come across data suggesting that abacavir therapy for HIV may interfere with treatment for Hepatitis C. There appears to have been further data presented at the recent CROI 2008 meeting.

Having already failed interferon / Ribavirin therapy while on an abacavir containing regimen, would you suggest a re-trial of the same on a different HIV-cocktail or would you recommend waiting for a new anti-hep c regimen? Thanks in advance for your help.

This is a terrific question. I have been wondering about this myself.

The mechanism for this potential effect of abacavir is not known. I think a retrial of therapy will depend on several things:

1. Did you have a response and then relapse later? Or did you have no response at all?

2. Do you have significant liver disease?

I would also review whether you got weight based ribavirin the first time around if you had genotype 1 infection.

Best wishes for your health

Acute infection - C and HIV
passive antibody