Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBV DNA 367,000,000
Feb 18, 2008

I am asymptomatic with the following stats: HBs Ag+ HBs AB- HBeAg+ HBeAb- HBV DNA 367,000,000, AST-50 ALT-90, CD4 287/18%. Just ordered AFP and another liver panel yesterday. I have not treated HIV or HBV yet. Is it possible for me to treat HBV alone prior to treating HIV or must they be treated together? Is the DNA as alarming as it sounds?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would start you on therapy for both HIV and HBV due to your CD4 count. There are great new therapies now - for example Atripla combines three drugs that are active against HIV into one pill. Two of those three drugs also are active against HBV.

I think you will do great on this therapy. Discuss with your doctor to see if you are a good candidate for these medications.

Previous
Hep B VACCINE
Next
Hep A IGM reactive now, vaccine 1997

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.