Acute HCV & HIV

I have been HIV+ since 1997 but was diagnosed with acute Hepatitis about 4 months ago after turning jaundiced.

I have read the questions and comments here and understand that it is practice to check RNA levels to see if I clear on my own, and if not, then begin treatment since early therapy leads to a very high chance of cure.

But if early treatment leads to higher chance of cure, wouldn't I increase my chances of being cured by beginning drug therapy now, rather than waiting 6 months to see if my body may or may not clear the virus, and then having to begin treatment? What are the negatives to beginning treatment immediately rather than waiting to see if the body clears it on its own?

In my opinion, acute HCV treatment should occur after waiting about 12 weeks. If there is no clearance - I would start therapy. We do this routinely in our facility.

In patients with HIV infection, I favor early therapy and treatment with pegylated interferon and ribavirin rather than interferon monotherapy.

Fatty Liver
hepatitis b laboratory results