The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I get infected with Hep C if I'm immune to Hep A and B?
Feb 9, 2008

I am currently living with 2 people that have been recently diagnosed with the Hepatitis C virus. I was wondering, I'm HIV positive and when my doctor did my first set of lab work to be done, it came back that I have immunity to Hepatitis A and B. I told my doctor that I'm had my shots when very young and when I was in middle school. Now my question is, should I be worried about getting infected with Hepatitis C? We are ALL following a lot stricter safer measures since they found out that they have Hepatitis C so no one will get infected, but should I be paranoid about this?

My next question is, how long are my Hepatitis A and B shots good for? When I was talking to my sister, she told me that it's only good for 10 years and that's what one of the doctors in the Air force told her since she's on the Air force reserve and had to get a medical check up.

Finally the last question, I'm on Atripla since my CD4 count is to low, will this have any effect on my medication?

Thank you for your time.


Response from Dr. McGovern

Good questions. 1. Periodically, you should have testing for hepatitis A and B antibodies since loss of protective antibodies occurs more commonly in patients with HIV. Loss of antibody should be followed by a booster vaccine. 2. Atripla is composed of two drugs that are actually active against hepatitis B. 3. The immunzations, if you need them, are safe. 4. Don't share razors with your roommates.

HBV level detection
suppressing the hb virus

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint