Chances of being completely free from Hepatitis B?
Jan 15, 2008
hello doc, i'm a hepatitis B carrier and i can say that i inherited this disease from my mother since i was born. i can say that many of my relatives from my mother's side are infected. my cousins, aunties and even my late grandmother. i thank God that my other 4 siblings are not infected. Right now i am 20 years old and i live normally without any problem and without any specific treatment.But i do take supplements such as milk thistle and dandelion with turmeric extract. Every 3 months i will take the liver function test. The questions are:
1. In the future, when i am old, maybe 30-40 years later, will there be any problem on my health?
2. The doctor said if the virus is in dormant state, he suggested to me that i should take the Hepatitis B vaccine and there is a good chance that i will be free from Hepatitis B, is it true?
3. Should i start on specific treatment to treat my Hepatitis B? i did talked to the doctor about interferon but he said its useless.
4. Currently, what is the best treatment available?
5. Honestly, do you think i can be cured?
i am very concern about bout my future though. i also want to get married and build a family.
Response from Dr. McGovern
If you are an inactive carrier you don't need treatment right now. It is important to continue to have follow-up to be certain that your status remains the same. Sometimes HBV can "reactivate" and become active again.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.