Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

found my own answers
Jan 15, 2008

Hi Dr M: I wrote that I was exposed to Hep C and got very very sick a month later, stayed sick that whole month and am still sick, and I couldn't find anything about people like me. I have found that people like me are rare usually recover on their own rather quickly and that's why I don't see much about us. I'm still very sick at week 5 and found out my viral load at testing 1 week after start of symptoms was >8,000. Yes less than 8,000. So I'll probably clear it. You can leave my original question out, it seems like I was in a panic. If you want my story in the forum, I could ask again more straight forward and let you answer. Thanks

Response from Dr. McGovern

Thank you very much for your posting. This is quite informative.

Persons who have new exposure to hepatitis C have "acute HCV infection".These patients usually have no symptoms; a minority of patients do feel extremely tired, may have nausea or vomiting, poor appetite and right upper quadrant pain in their belly. On occasion their skin may also turn yellow (called jaundice). It turns out that those patients who are sick tend to have a better chance of clearing the virus on their own compared to those who do not become ill.

With such a low viral load, I would be hopeful that yes you will clear your HCV. However, this requires follow-up of serial HCV RNA tests to prove clearance. If the virus rebounds upward, you will want to discuss the benefits of rapid treatment with your doctor, since the cure rates in the setting of acute HCV are about 90 percent. These rates are much higher than what we see in chronic infection.

Previous
HBsAg Reactive (First Step)
Next
Boosting with Norvir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.