The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep B... can it be cured????
Dec 22, 2007

Good day mam,

it relates to query 13 Decmber 2007 for "Hepatitis B... (results)"

Your interpretation about my result is : It appears that you are an inactive carrier of hepatitis B. This is good news. I would continue monitoring every six months or so to be certain that your hepatitis B infection stays inactive.

i have hbsag positive and rest all results negative... including dna, surface antigen, normal lfts...

my query is that can it be cured.. if yes.. which medicine should i use then... is there any danger for my family members and wife and future children.... and is there any restriction on the type of food which i should eat...??? my wife is just getting vaccinated after her test, she got negative....

Thanx for your concern...

Response from Dr. McGovern

No treatment is indicated. Only serial follow-up to be certain that your disease remains inactive. The nature of that follow-up should be discussed with your physician.

If in the future you need to take steroids or chemotherapy for a new medical problem, you would need to discuss taking HBV medications with your physician to prevent the virus from becoming active while you are immunosuppressed. That is the only advice I would give about treatment.

It is excellent for your wife to get vaccinated. She should have a surface antibody test at the end of the series to be certain that the vaccine worked and she is protected. Also do not share razors.

There should be no risk to your children whatsoever.

Best regards.

Hep B Clearance
work life of hepa b carrier

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint