pegasys and elevated sgpt and sgot

Dear dr McGovern, I am an hepatitis B carier since I was born. At about 24 years now. I learn that 2 years ago by my mother. I am an HbeAg positive and HbeAb negative. my hbv dna was 726000000 wich is excesivelly high. Although, my sgpt and sgot were never abnormal and always on normal level contrary to my viral load. I had a liver biopsy one year ago and they said that I had a low liver infection. The doctor started on pegasys at June. The firts 3 months I have a reduction of my sgpt and sgot to 13 and 20. But the last two months the sgot and sgpt get extremely high to 100 and 60. I got tested for hcv and hiv and I was negative of course. Could you find out or suposse what the problem is?

Abnormalities of liver function tests on interferon can occur due to the immune system fighting the virus in your liver cells. Your liver test changes were very mild.

It is good news that you have mild disease. This should have followup in about five years.

The Hepatitis B guidelines will be redone in about a year. Stay tuned for any changes in the guidelines.

HBV Quntitative PCR
Hbv carrier