Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

change in HBV viral load
Dec 4, 2007

Dear Doctor McGovern,

My doctor has been keeping track of my HBV viral load for years. I am chronically infected with HBV since birth, and I have never undergone any kind of treatment in my life. I am HBeAg negative, HBeAb positive, and my liver enzymes are normal. I do not know if I have any cirrhosis or scarring of the liver, since I never got a biopsy.

Recently, my viral load experienced a 3-fold change. Going from 6000 copies per mL to 2000 copies per mL. No elevation of liver enzymes accompanied that change.

I read that HBV viral load can vary quite a bit due to inaccuracy in the PCR assay. However, differences as great as half a log10 can be attributed to actual physiological chnages in the patient.

When viral load changes significantly, does that mean there is inflammatory activity in the liver? I am very concerned because a reactivation of Hepatitis B can lead to cirrhosis rather quickly. Should anti-viral treatment be initiated in my case?

Thank you for your time and patience. Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Response from Dr. McGovern

The viral load going down is a good thing.

Your disease status falls into a grey area. Your liver function tests are normal, your viral load is low, but we don't know how much disease you have. This is a case where I sometimes consider a biopsy to determine disease activity.

If there is moderate disease, I would consider therapy for viral suppression. This is a big decision because since your have e antigen negative infection, you will need chronic therapy. You should discuss these issues with your physician further since I do not know the details about your case.

Previous
Hepatits B
Next
HBV Quntitative PCR

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.