please help!!!

Hi Dr...

thank you so much for your time and effort. I've read your archives but i'm a little confused about something. At times you say that delayed seroconversion for HCV/HIV at 6 mths is rare and at other times you say 9 months. i would like to know when testing is warranted past 6 months? thank you.

I generally do not test for HIV and HCV infection past six months after the exposure. The only exception to that is when my patient converts for acute (newly acquired) HCV infection - then I test for HIV again at 12 months.

However, I want to emphasize strongly that this is a CDC based recommendation based on a rare phenomenon of delayed seroconversion that has been reported. Again, this is a rare event.

Hep C with HIV