Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HEP B Treatement Options for HIV + patient
Dec 1, 2007

Hi all; my brother is HIV+ since 10 years almost. He's is a pretty good shape and takes no meds yet, given his low VL (under 30k) and high Cd4 and Cd8 (32% CD4 and 49% cd8). He's also HEB B +, with a HBVDNA title of 360,000,000. His general liver functions are indicating the liver is suffering. I should add he's drinking definetely too much and doing drugs (mostly cocaine) too. I know his limits so I will help him reducing the amount of alchool but I know it will be impossible to make him stop. Coming to my question he must now start a therapy for hepB even if his HIV numbers would not suggest to start with meds. Interferone is not an option because he will not respect the once a day injection program. Docs are suggesting to go for a combined therapy of Truvada, Norvir and Viread; is this cocktail the best available option or, given the latest development, is there any other available option (single dose per day given the subject)?

Thanks a lot for your comments

G.

Response from Dr. McGovern

Yes you are correct that the first step should be discontinuation of any alcohol.

Pegylated interferon is a once weekly injection, but it needs very careful follow up and his physicians may be concerned about this.

There are limited options for him otherwise. Adefovir is one option, but his viral load is so high, I would not expect it to work.

As for HBV/HIV meds: Truvada has Viread in it so I think you don't have the cocktail quite right. However, Truvada it itself would be a great option since it combines two drugs with HIV activity.

He also should be having twice yearly AFPs and Ultrasounds to monitor his liver.

He should also be vaccinated for Hepatitis A if he has never been infected before.

Previous
HBs Ag Elisa-Positive & HIV Connection
Next
hepitis ci

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.