HIV+ HCV+ & BIPOLAR

Hello. First off, I want to thank you and the medical team at The Body for your continued efforts in providing the world at large with suggestions and answers to the many varied questions posed. I have been clinically diagnosed with depression since 22y.o. I am now 53. One year ago, after failed attempts of four anti-depressants (until then I had great results in a 6 year period with 2 different anti-depressants.) My question is in regard to starting interferon treatment for HCV. My doctor says that since the tx can spur depression, it is best to wait till the depression is "in check". But now, my diagnosis has been changed from depression to bipolar disorder. I was prescribed one-quarter of a milligram of Risperdal - yes - .25mg once a day. With such a small dose, no wonder that my disorder is not "in check". What would you suggest, given my current diagnosis and tx plan? Should I start treatment for HCV now, or wait? Thanks so much. TC in SF.

In our clinic we work with a psychiatrist who is well versed in interferon. He would agree with your doctor that your bipolar disease needs to be well controlled before you start interferon.

HBsAg Reactive
Hepatitis B