Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Post Tx with no SVR - What now?
Nov 15, 2007

50, Co-infected HIV/HCV Caucasian Male, Geno 1a with grade 2/stage 2 at start of PEG. Current absolute cd4 480 and LFT's normal 6 months post Tx.

Having relapsed at 6 months post tx what are my options?

Response from Dr. McGovern

What a disappointment!

There are two types of pegylated interferon. I would ask your physician if you were treated with Pegasys which is the interferon that was FDA-approved for the treatment of coinfection. Secondly, I would ask if you received weight-based dosing of ribavirin at 13 mg/kg. If you only received fixed dose (400 mg twice daily) then perhaps this change could make the difference.

However, the most important issue is to also review your virologic response. Did you clear the virus rapidly by 4 weeks, more slowly at 12 weeks, or did you just get a 2-log drop by 12 weeks. This is a critical point, since if you got a 2-log decline in virus by 12 weeks, but didn't clear it completely until 20 weeks, then 48 weeks of treatment would have been too short. I usually aim for 36 weeks of non-detectable virus based on a large meta-analysis.

If you had a slow response, you may be a good candidate for newer therapies in the future. It is unclear as to when we will have protease inhibitors such as telaprevir available to us, but I do believe the more specific STAT-C agents are going to make a huge difference for HIV/HCV coinfected patients. My hope is that the addition of these agents will help patients attain a rapid virologic response, which appears to be the key element that leads to a sustained virologic response.

Best wishes for your health. Hang in there!

Previous
Neutrophil Low, Lymphocyte high and HIV
Next
CDC

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.