Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HepC after a year
Nov 12, 2007

My brother has been taking the Pegasy shots for a year now. They tell us that he is down to zero viral load but would like him to stay on the program for another 6 months because he wasn't down to zero in the first 6 weeks. Do you agree in this?

Response from Dr. McGovern

When treating a patient, we can estimate the duration of treatment based on genotype. For example, genotype 1 is usually treated for 48 weeks and genotype 2 or 3 is treated for 24 weeks.

I suspect that his physician is looking at your brother's viral load response and calculating a certain amount of time after that to ensure that his virus doesn't come back after treatment is stopped.

Tailoring a patient's treatment duration is a rather new concept that has evolved over the past year or two. A rapid viral load response is defined as no detectable virus at four weeks. When this is not achieved, we also look at responses at 12 weeks to be certain that the patient has finally declined to no detectable virus.

When a patient does not clear virus completely by 12 weeks, I do tend to treat longer - and usually give 36 more weeks of treatment once the patient has achieved a non-detectable viral load. I give 36 more weeks based on a meta-analysis by Drusano and colleagues. If the patient still has virus at 24 weeks, I stop therapy.

I hope this is helpful.

Previous
treatment
Next
Hepatitis and IVF

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.