Elevated ALT, HBeAg still positive

Dear Dr.Mc Govern,

I'm Asian with HIV+HBV co-infection from Thailand . I was diagnosed with HIV in 2001, and I've begun treatment since then with ddI+d4T+EFV as first regimen. Last year, in May 2006, it was found that I've also had HBV with HBV DNA viral load well above 9 million. So my doctor in Thailand prescribed me Hepsera to have been taken with ddI+d4T+EFV, and it lowered my ALT down to 24 from initial value of above 50. Then in March 2007, he advised me to changed regimen to 3TC+TDF+EFV, by giving up Hepsera. My two latest lab results are as following since I've taken 3TC+TDF+EFV:

Aug 2007: VL=undetectable; CD4=732; HbeAg=pos; ALT=50; HBV DNA viral load= <600 (hundred); AFP=3.3, upper abdomen u/s= normal. tested in Thailand Oct 2007: VL=undetectable; CD4=670; HBsAg=pos; HBeAg=pos; ALT=170. tested in Hong Kong

I'm a non-drinker and non-smoker. I don't eat fatty food. I often practice exercise. My main concern is my upward trend of elevated ALT; and HbeAg is still positive. This makes me so worried about it very much because I have to stay in Hong Kong until 2010 at least. My question are that, as a medical provider, what would you suggest for this case? (i.e. monitoring ALT, monitoring HbeAg, monitoring liver conditions, or in worst case, giving up this regimen and switching to other regimen plus other HBV drugs), and this ALT level is life-threatening if it continues to go up? I'm really worried about it, please help. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, TM Mark (8 Nov 2007)

I think that your doctor has chosen an excellent regimen to address both your HIV and HBV infections. I think that dual therapy with lamivudine and tenofovir for HBV is exactly why your viral load is effectively suppressed.

Hepatitis B can lead to ups and downs in your liver function tests, particularly as your CD4 count improves. I would just check your ALT again and as long as you feel well, I would not be terribly concerned. ALT can also rise when your body is getting healthier and you are about to "seroconvert" from an active HBV patient to an inactive one. This would be the best reason of all for your increased liver function tests.

If you develop nausea, fatigue, right upper quadrant pain - see your doctor for immediate LFTS to be repeated for possible drug toxicity.

Best of luck to you from the US.

HIV / hemophilia / strep and other infections
does my sickness have to do with hep c?