Hepatitis & HIV

My brother in law has had NIV since the 80's and has not gone into AIDS although he has been told recently that he also has Hepatitis C Stage 2. Is it possible to have HIV and not AIDS and Have Hep C stage 2? He has not had a byopsy. Im just confused on how each disease works with or against eachother. Thanks you.

HIV and HCV coinfection are commonly seen together due to shared modes of transmission. However, we cannot predict a patient's liver disease based on the patient's HIV status. For example, I have had long-term non-progressors (HIV infected patients with little or no virus and good CD4 counts for years) with had advanced liver disease.

It is true however, that in general, patients with advanced immunosuppression are at increased risk of having advanced liver disease.

Stage 2 disease is something that I would want to address. I would discuss a trial of therapy with pegylated interferon alfa 2a and ribavirin to see the viral load response at four and 12 weeks. By that time, you usually have an idea as to whether the treatment will possibly work.

He should also have immunizations against hepatitis B and A if he is not immune. I would also advise little to no alcohol.

Hepatitis C
STD Vaccines