Help with accidental needle prick protocol

I am in the Dental Hygiene program at my college and while cleaning the teeth of a patient with Hepatitic C I accidently pricked myself with an instrument. I've been to the hospital yet they are unsure of the protocol that should be followed. The prescriptions I was given and am currently taking are for Crixivan and Combivir. One doctor said I should take these for 2 weeks and another said 4 weeks. The prescription I was given is only for 1 week with no refills. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You should have baseline testing for hepatitis B and C.

I am not certain why you were prescribed Crixivan and Combivir for HIV prevention since I do not know the details of your exposure or the patient's HIV status. Usually HIV prophylaxis is given for four weeks. If you are going to take Crixivan, it is important to take a lot of water since you can get kidney stones with this.

I would also consider seeing another local HIV physician in your area for more guidance and counseling about the exact issues related to your exposure. You can also post your question to the HIV forum.

HEP. B
changing mes