Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help with accidental needle prick protocol
Oct 12, 2007

I am in the Dental Hygiene program at my college and while cleaning the teeth of a patient with Hepatitic C I accidently pricked myself with an instrument. I've been to the hospital yet they are unsure of the protocol that should be followed. The prescriptions I was given and am currently taking are for Crixivan and Combivir. One doctor said I should take these for 2 weeks and another said 4 weeks. The prescription I was given is only for 1 week with no refills. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Response from Dr. McGovern

You should have baseline testing for hepatitis B and C.

I am not certain why you were prescribed Crixivan and Combivir for HIV prevention since I do not know the details of your exposure or the patient's HIV status. Usually HIV prophylaxis is given for four weeks. If you are going to take Crixivan, it is important to take a lot of water since you can get kidney stones with this.

I would also consider seeing another local HIV physician in your area for more guidance and counseling about the exact issues related to your exposure. You can also post your question to the HIV forum.

Previous
HEP. B
Next
changing mes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.