Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hepb + hiv
Sep 30, 2007

I'M COINFECTED SINCE 2004 hiv + hep b e antigen positive, I don't need drugs yet to treat my hiv (cd4 640, viral load 2100) is adefovir the best option for me? my liver biopsy results: fibrosis 1-2 out of 6, inflamation 3/18.

thanks very much for your help!

Response from Dr. McGovern

You ask a very important question. I consider the liver health of HIV infected patients to be an urgent question. All HIV infected patients should be tested for Hepatitis B and C.

The goal of HBV treatment is to suppress the virus. In patients with E antigen positive status an additional goal is to hopefully get "seroconversion". This means that you lose your E antigen and seroconvert to an E antibody positive status. This event usually correlates with less active disease and lower levels of virus.

An important issue to bring to everyone's awareness of is that entecavir - which is a potent HBV drug - should not be used currently in patients with detectable HIV RNA. This is due to the fact that entecavir may have some anti-HIV activity (demonstrated in some case reports of a few patients) which could compromise the effectivenss future HIV treatment regimens.

In your case there are two choices: adefovir, which is less potent than entecavir, but is still effective over time, including patients with HIV. The other choice is pegylated interferon - there is little data on the effectiveness of this drug for HBV treatment in HIV infected patients. There are also many side effects. However, in terms of seroconversion, pegylated interferon is more effective than adefovir in HBV monoinfected patients (about 33 percent compared to 20 percent).

As you can see this is a complicated issue. You will need to discuss the pros and cons with your physician. You will also need monitoring of your HBV DNA over time to be certain that you are responding to therapy along with your Hep E antigen status, alfa feto protein, and ultrasound imaging of your liver. Fortunately, treatment is not urgent since your fibrosis is early stage and your inflammation is mild.

Previous
oral sex
Next
Hbs antibody - non-reactive and Hbs antigen - non-reactive. Please interpret the result

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.