|Hep B Clearance? Confused
Sep 30, 2007
Hello, Need Advice/Opinion on Hepatitis B Clearance/Chronicity.
I Was Infected With HepB 28 Weeks Ago. I Had General Lymphadenopathy Around Week 11 to 22.
I Did Not Know I was Infected/ I Drank Heavily at Weeks 16-20. Teetotal/Minimal Drink From Week 21-28.
I Had Hepatitis Symptoms of Dark Urine/Diarrhoea/Stools/Fatigue at this Time (Weeks 18-19)
At Week 23, Tested: Hepatitis C antigen/antibody NOT DETECTED Hepatitis B surface ANTIGEN DETECTED
LFT's: Normal Bilirubin 10umol/L (Normal 3-17) Normal ALT 23iu/L (Normal 8-37iu/L) Normal ALP 69 iu/L (Normal 44-147)
High Total Protein 85g/L (Normal 60-80) High Albumin Level 51g/L (Normal 35-50)
I am Now Awaiting Confirmation Results for:
I Am Adult/30 Yr/old.
1) What Are My Odds on Clearance/Full Resolution Based on Data.
2) If You Catch HBV from a Carrier, Do you Automatically Become a Carrier Due to the Strain of Virus. Or Is Is Upto Host Immunity/Response.
3) How do Carriers Not Have HbsAb and Still Feel Well?? I Am Recovering Now at 6 months. I am Hoping this is Due to HBsAb's. (Awaiting Results)
4) Hepatitis B Incubation is 1-6 Months. So as I have HbsAg at 6 Months. Am I Automatically a Carrier? Leading to Nxt Qu.
5) Hepatitis Shortlived Symptoms of Dark Urine/Extreme Fatigue were at 5 Months. Although Initial Gland Symptoms Were at 3 months. Is It 6 months From Symptoms or 6 months from Infection That Concludes Carrier Status or Total Absence of HbsAb??
Response from Dr. McGovern
You ask good questions. Hepatitis B is cleared in the vast majority of adults (about 95 percent) so hopefully this will be the case with you as well. I look for clearance of Hepatitis B surface antigen six months after the symptoms occur.
Inactive carriers feel well because the disease is not active in them. However, carriers need follow-up in case the virus becomes active again.
- Does Rash Mean I Have Hiv?
- Is Rectal Bleeding A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Do People Get HIV From Sex With A Prostitute?
- Anal Warts After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- How Long Should You Wait To Get Tested For Chlamydia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.