Hep C DOES come from sexual contact

I am pretty well read in HIV and STDs and everything I had read including responses to questions on this forum say that Hepatitis C is not trasmitted by sexual contact. As you can imagine, I was shocked to be diagnosed with Hep C a couple of weeks ago and it did come from receptive unprotected anal intercourse. Please help spread the word that the spread of Hepatitis C via sexual contact among gay MSM is on the rise. Thanks very much.

Thank you for your comments. I have actually reiterated several times before that unprotected sexual contact can lead to acute hepatitis C. I have also noted that the risk increases with trauma, anal sex, and in the presence of sexually transmitted diseases (such as syphilis, chancroid, and HSV). There are multiple studies suggesting risk of HCV transmission, particularly among MSM. I have also mentioned this issue in a review paper in JAIDS.

I wish you good health and hope that if you and provider decide to initiate therapy, that you have an excellent response. By the way, if you think you have contracted the infection within the last six months, there is also data suggesting that early HCV treatment has a much higher success rate.

Also be certain to get immunized against Hepatitis B, Hepatitis A, and get testing for HIV if not done already.

Best regards.

Interferon Study with low cd4
hep b test