Interferon Study with low cd4

Hi. First of all here are my latest numbers for HIV. 02/21/06 CD4 163 13.5 % VL 464 - Diagnosed 02/28/06 CD4 241 14.3% VL 581 03/30/06 CD4 189 13.8% VL 835 06/14/06 CD4 153 11.2% VL 1420 - started truvada/lexiva/norvir 08/03/06 CD4 142 11.2% VL <50 10/17/06 CD4 134 8.1% VL <50 01/13/07 CD4 129 10.6% VL <50 05/25/07 CD4 147 9.9% VL <50 Infection had to be 6 yeras ago or more. My low VL's had Dr's scratching their heads..

I was offered to be in a study to treat My Hepatitis C type 1a. I would talk to my I.D Doc about it however she quit her job 2 months ago and is no longer available. My appointment with new doctor is tomorrow so i will ask a bunch of questions then. I guess what i want to know is how un safe is it to start interferon treatment with a low CD4 count like mine? My last doctor told me i should wait because there are new drugs comming down the pipe and she would like to see my CD4 count improve before i start any Hep C treatment. So im in limbo at the moment wondering what would be best? I did have a biopsy last year and it showed beginning stages of Fibrosis. I dont drink at all(sober 4 years), No drugs, No smoke. What advice would you have for me with the info i have provided?? Anything would help....

Thanks.

I am also surprised to see your numbers. Is there any possibility that you have an underlying autoimmune disease that may be interfering with the laboratory markers for CD4? Do you have a family history of lupus or any other disease like that? Your physician may want to speak directly to the laboratory supervisor to see if there is any concern regarding autoantibodies in the processing of your CD4 count. Besides this suggestion, I am stumped as well.

As for HCV treatment...I agree with your physician that I would wait knowing that you have early liver disease. You have already done the right thing by avoiding alcohol as well.

Best regards and keep up the good work in terms of your adherence to your medications.

Hep B
Hep C DOES come from sexual contact