Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hepatitis Bs
Sep 9, 2007

Dear Doc, my blood report said tat my Hep Bs Antigen is Positive, and the doctor ask me to return after six months for the test of H Bs Antigen, H Bs E Antigen and Liver Enzyme. My question is why i have to wait for 6months? those checking is for what purpose? So, does it mean that my current situation is safe? What should i do to prevent transmit it to my partner? Can i still live as normal life? What is the different of Reactive & Positive? What is Antibody is Negative or Deactive? Pls advice Doc. TQ

Response from Dr. McGovern

Your physician is considering the possibility of your surface antigen clearing in six months. If not, then you will be considered a HBV carrier based on the surface antigen. You should have serial monitoring of your hepatitis B e antigen, e antibody, HBV DNA (virus level) and liver function tests to get a better idea on how active your disease is. I would certainly get liver function tests at this time.

Your partner should be evaluated for a HBV vaccine.

If you do eventually need treatment, there are many good drugs avaialble.

Previous
Lupus & HCV TX
Next
type of hepatitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.