Hep. B and Marriage

Dear Doctor,

My boyfriend is an inactive carrier of Hep. B. We are planning to get married. I want your advice on three points:

i) After getting vaccinated, can I again get the infection, given the condition that I may have unprotected sexual encounters with my husband for many number of times? ii) If I get infected, is there a treatment that ensures complete cure? And if I get cured, are their chances of getting infected again? Is there a possibility of increased risk with increased number of unprotected sexual encounters? iii) Are there chances of our offspring getting infected? If so, is there a 100% chance of complete cure?

Thanking You

Sincerely

Sreeparna

I would get vaccinated and simply get a check of surface antibody to be certain that it worked. Then you are protected. You will want to periodically check your surface antibody to see when you may need a booster. Then you will not have to worry about getting the infection or passing it on.

Good luck!

hepatitis b--
hepatitis B inactive carrier