The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hepatitis b--
Sep 9, 2007

can you please help me to understand my test results? i was diagnosed with hepatitis b about 25 years ago. my understanding was that the virus had cleared my body and i was fine. i have never told my family because i really didn't see a need but now i am concerned because i have recently started seeing a new doctor and he told me i would always have the virus in my body and could spread it. Can i still get sick from having hepatitis b? my test results are: hbv e abs- pos hbv e ant- neg hbv dna- <0.01 hbv core total abs- pos hbv surface abs- neg hbv surface ant- neg hbv core igm abs- neg

Response from Dr. McGovern

Since your hepatitis B surface antigen is negative and you do not have any virus in your blood, I do not think you have chronic infection. That is the bottom line.

If your have no risk factors for hepatitis B, then I suspect you have isolated hepatitis B core antibody with the additional finding of a positive HBV e antibody positivity. You could be considered for vaccination, unless you had well documented hepatitis B infection in the past (eg, turned yellow etc).

If you do have risk factors for hepatitis B, then perhaps you have cleared your infection. However, I also doubt that since your hepatitis E antibody should have cleared along with your surface antigen.

I think a lot of how to think about your case depends a lot on how your hepatitis B infection was diagnosed in the first place. Were you sick? or did you just have the unclear laboratory picture you have today?

Hep. B and Marriage

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint