HBsAg and HBsAb - how?

I asked about this once before, and your answer was to have the tests reconfirmed. So I got my latest lab results today. This is now eleven months after stopping Pegasys, and ten months being on Truvada and Sustiva. It's been about eight months since I had the e-seroconversion and the surface AB first appeared.

Liver panel, all in range, including ALT and AST.

ALT 44 range 9-60 AST 26 range 10-40

HBV DNA PCR quant <100 ("undetectable, could be either zero, or very low-lying," says the doc.)

HBeAg non-reactive HBeAb reactive

HBsAg reactive HBsAb reactive >10, should provide immunity

Doc felt my liver, said it seemed normal to him, no swelling, no prominence, edge felt tight and good. Nothing to do now but wait, he says. What is your opinion about both sAg and sAb being reactive? Is there a chance I can still clear the sAg? This is driving me crazy trying to understand what it means. Would you add anything to my regimen or try any other tests? Are the titers quantifiable for sAg and sAb?

Dave California

I can understand your frustration. However, your undetectable Hepatitis B DNA and your normal liver function tests are extremely reassuring. I suspect that your liver health is excellent. There are rare reports of patients like you and the significance of these laboratories is not clear. However, again I want to reiterate that I suspect your liver health is fine.

I would continue monitoring your HBV DNA and HBV panel every six months for now.

You ask an excellent question about titers. Yes the clinical laboratory supervisor should be able to tell your doctor as to whether one of these markers is borderline positive.

Very Concerned regarding Hepatitis B and C
Hepatitis C immunity?