Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HBsAg and HBsAb - how?
Sep 9, 2007

I asked about this once before, and your answer was to have the tests reconfirmed. So I got my latest lab results today. This is now eleven months after stopping Pegasys, and ten months being on Truvada and Sustiva. It's been about eight months since I had the e-seroconversion and the surface AB first appeared.

Liver panel, all in range, including ALT and AST.

ALT 44 range 9-60 AST 26 range 10-40

HBV DNA PCR quant <100 ("undetectable, could be either zero, or very low-lying," says the doc.)

HBeAg non-reactive HBeAb reactive

HBsAg reactive HBsAb reactive >10, should provide immunity

Doc felt my liver, said it seemed normal to him, no swelling, no prominence, edge felt tight and good. Nothing to do now but wait, he says. What is your opinion about both sAg and sAb being reactive? Is there a chance I can still clear the sAg? This is driving me crazy trying to understand what it means. Would you add anything to my regimen or try any other tests? Are the titers quantifiable for sAg and sAb?

Dave California

Response from Dr. McGovern

I can understand your frustration. However, your undetectable Hepatitis B DNA and your normal liver function tests are extremely reassuring. I suspect that your liver health is excellent. There are rare reports of patients like you and the significance of these laboratories is not clear. However, again I want to reiterate that I suspect your liver health is fine.

I would continue monitoring your HBV DNA and HBV panel every six months for now.

You ask an excellent question about titers. Yes the clinical laboratory supervisor should be able to tell your doctor as to whether one of these markers is borderline positive.

Previous
Very Concerned regarding Hepatitis B and C
Next
Hepatitis C immunity?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.