The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sep 9, 2007

I should start off by explaining that my pos hep c cousin and her daughter(hep c status unknown) are over here alot. I borrowed their fridge and couches and when they come over they hug and kiss my daughter and although I try to be as careful with my daughter as possible, she is 2 1/2 and sometimes doesnt know any better so she kisses them (I should mention my cousin is pregnant and has alot of acne/acne scars on her face)

a week ago my daughter's poop was really pale, i thought nothing of it...maybe it was something she ate and let it go. When it was almost white the other day so I got labs drawn on her to test her liver.

her euric nitrogen? came out high and her AST came out to 43 when it was suppose to be at 30 at highest level. Her cholesterol was at the higher end of normal as well.

I am worried sick, I dont know where to go from here, I am taking her to the doctor as soon as possible but I am worried she contracted hep c from my cousin or her daughter!!

do her labs indicate hep?? her ALT levels were normal. thank you so much!!!

oh and when can we test for hep c?? would it show up now that she has symptoms?

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not expect her to be at risk for hepatitis C by kissing her cousin.

I do not know why her liver function tests are minimally abnormal, but you can get routine antibody testing,which will be accurate at her age. This may reassure you that you do not need to worry further about hepatitis C.

I would get further serial monitoring of her liver function tests to see if they simply drop back down to normal.

Hep c

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint