severe reaction to Ribavirin

Iam a 62 year old, who under went 7 weeks of combo therapy, after 5 weeks I developed a rash on my arms front of legs and chest which became worse over a 2 week period. It itched and had blisters which became infected. The Doctor that was treating me at the time wanted me to work though it cause I was having a good respons. My viral load went from 1.2 million to 6 thousand in 4 weeks. The pain and itch from this blistery rash became unbearable and I stopped thearapy.I was told that nothing else could be done for me, however I sougt out a second opinion and it was suggested to try the interon alone for 24 weeks and see if I have a respons. My liver bx showed a stage 2, with mild steatosis and grade 3 piecemeal necorois and hepatocellular necrosis. My question is, what kind of respons might I expect and possible side effects, and am I headed for possible cirrohsis ?

Your rash could easily be due to pegylated interferon. There are two types of pegylated interferon and each is associated with the possibility of rash. It is the pegylated formulation that can be problematic. You may do well with standard interferon which has less risk of rash. However, this medication is not as potent. You may also consider consensus interferon due to its different chemical structure.

You may want to see a dermatologist and a hepatologist to discuss possible alternative options and the risk of recurrent rash. It sounds like your reaction was significant.

Newer therapies are being developed, but I suspect you will not have access to these treatments for at least 3 more years. Furthermore, many of these are being combined with interferon and ribavirin, so it would be useful to figure out what is causing your rash.

HIV and Hep B Co-infection in Children
Blood Tests.