Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nervous about plausible Hep C encounter
Aug 8, 2007

Hello, I was recently worried about my HIV and Hepatitis B/C status so I was tested. Everything came back negative and I was very satisfied with the results. However, I have recently had a roommate who I do not know well move into my apartment and the other day I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and afterwards realized something that disturbed me. Both of our toothbrushes were sitting in the medicine cabinet and mine was propped up so that the bristles of mine were touching the bristles of his in certain areas. I threw the toothbrush away after I realized this, but I am worried about the one time I did use it. I know that people say you can get the hepatitis b/c virus from using an infected person's toothbrush, but what if yours comes into contact with someone elses. A few facts: I have absolutely no idea of his status ( though I truly have no reason at all to believe he has any forms of diseases - he's a nice guy who is quite Christian.)I am not sure how wet/dry the brushes were when they were resting against each other, nor do I know how much of the bristles were exposed to each other, or for how long. Do I have any reason to be worried, or retested in a few months after the window period has passed? I was so close to getting HIV/Hep concerns out of my life and then this happened. I mean, I didn't actually use his toothbrush, but I am worried about the contact, and how anything could have come into contact with my brush. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. McGovern

I would not worry about this and I would not suggest testing.

Previous
Rough sex
Next
Hepatitis prognosis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.