Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Hepatitis and HIV CoinfectionHepatitis and HIV Coinfection

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can you re-infect with Hep C after treatment?
Aug 7, 2007

My husband and I are coinfected with HIV/HEP C genotype 2. My husband has had elevated liver counts since dx in 1988. His biopsy showed cirrhosis and he is in the third week of pegsys/ribavirin treatment. Our questions are, if this treatment is successful, will he still have Hep C and could having unprotected sex with me reinfect him? We have been married for 19 years and until a few months ago had been on the same therapy for HIV. Viracept/Epivir/Zerit. He was recently switched to Atripla. The doctor that put us on the same therapy said it would be better for us to take the same meds to prevent infecting ourselves with drug resistant strains of HIV. I would hate to reinfect my husband with Hep C if this works. In 1988 his tcells were below 200 and he had 0 tcells in 1995 when he was found to have CMV in the parotid gland. Gancyclovir worked and on the new meds his tcells are now in the 700's but his liver isn't good. We've fought hard to still be here and healthy and would hate to jeopardize my husbands life if it could be prevented. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and many thanks to all of those at the body and especially the doctors who take the time in your busy lives to provide this valuable service to those of us living with HIV and Hep C.

Response from Dr. McGovern

You ask an extremely important question. Once someone is cured of hepatitis C after therapy, he/she can get infected again if exposed.

Sexual transmission of HCV is uncommon. However, I agree with you that since your husband has advanced liver disease, you will want to hold onto that cure, if it should happen. In situations like these, even if the risk is low, many will still opt for condom use to get the risk to zero.

Best regards to your husband and my wishes for a cure of HCV. Avoid alcohol in the meantime and tell him to take his medications with excellent adherence - just like he is doing with his HIV medications. Every dose counts.

Previous
hepc treatment caused cirrhosis
Next
cant find an answer

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.