Hepa B Results - 10 Yrs F/Up

Dear Dr. McGoevn Your help to the suffering humans specially who want a definite answer from their physicians and fail to get their attention despite paying them heavily, is praisworthy. I am 40 years old and was diagnosed with Hepa B in 1998 when I was pregrant with my fisrt child. Three weeks back I went for follow-up and got myself tested. These are my results: HBsAg+ve, HBeAg-ve, Anti-HBe+ve, Anti-HBcIgM-ve, Anti-HBc(Total)+ve, Anti-HBs-ve, HBV DNA by PCR +ve (65000U/ml and 6710 copies/ml). My ultrasound is normal except slight liver enlargement. ALT 25 (WNL) and AST 25 (WNL). I am usually very tired and experience a lot of fatigue now a days. I have a 10 years old son and both my husband and him are immune. We decided not to go for another child since at that time effectiveness of the vaccine was not established and now I am too tired to produce and take care of another child. My doctor says I do not need any treatment as my ALT/AST are WNL and should f/up with my LFTs every six months. I am seeking your kind advice as I am getting worried to death. God bless you and give you more power. Sara

I agree that it will be important to continue getting serial liver function tests to determine that your liver function tests remain normal. If they become abnormal, I would get a liver biopsy to evaluate the extent of your disease.

I would also get ultrasounds periodically with alfa feto protein blood tests to follow up on your chronic infection and the health of your liver.

I would get vaccinated against hepatitis A is you are not immune. I would also stay away from any alcohol.

Best regards and my wishes for your health.

Hep C-1A
hep c