Dr. Mcgovern, will a combination of depressant(alcohol) and anti depressant(citalopram) for two years, will these affect the HIV or Hepatis B or Hep C test result.

Dear Dr. Mcgovern,

i had a exposure, and due to the stress, i was on antidepressant(citalopram 20 mg everyday) and i was also drinking alcohol everyday in the same period, because of the stress again. In the morning i used to take citalopram 20 mg everyday and in the evening i used to drink alcohol(mostly beers). I was doing like this for two years and after two years i got tested for HIV and all other STD's.

All the results came negative. HIV1, HIV2 by standard elisa, HSV 1, HSV 2, Hep B, Hep I was so happy at that time.

lately i was thinking about the past and my question is Because i was doing a combination of a depressant(alcohol) and an anti depressant(citalopram 20 mg)for two years, do you think this affects the HIV 1 or HIV2 or HSV 2 or Hep B or HepC test results in anyway? I mean do you think i got a false negative. Please help.

I got tested after two years after the exposure.

No the blood tests are very accurate. I would not worry about a false negative due to these issues.

I am concerned about your alcohol intake and hope that you have restricted this since alcohol (including beer) can cause significant liver disease.

hepatitis B
Hep B core and ab