Hep C Viral Load vs HIV Viral Load

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with having Hep C. My Mother was able to get me on medication which was a combination of Interferon, and Riboviron (spelling on both) It was a shot 3 times a week with a number of pills in the morning, and at night. Well, it worked. My Hep C has remained undetectable for this entire length of time.

About 2 months ago I was diagnosed with AIDS. CD4 64 and Viral Load 491,000. When I told the doctor about me being a Hep C recovery victim he wanted to do a Hep C viral load test.

The results came back and my Hep C Viral Load was 10. I am wondering if a Viral Load for HIV/AIDS is the same as a Viral Load count for Hep C. Meaning... 10 is nothing compared to 491,000. The doctor did say we were looking good in that area but it did need to be monitored.

I've been on ATRIPLA now for a little over a month and haven't got results back that let us know the medication is actually working. I am not resistant to any of the medications available to me so he assumes we should have no problem rebuilding my immune system, and achieving an undetectable viral load.

My question is: Where is the differentiation of a Hep C Viral Load and a HIV Viral Load? Are the numbers the same or does 10 for a Hep C Viral Load mean like 100,000 for a HIV Viral Load?

I know we will need to keep track of this because if I ever progress to an unrecoverable state of AIDS my Hep C might kick in again because of the AIDS. Any feedback you have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

I love my life and am trying to understand how I can have a healthy body and live responsibly to avoid being conquered by Hep C and/or HIV. If it makes any difference, I am only 25 years old. We caught the Hec C right when I got it which was when I was 15. Praise God!

I suspect you had testing of your hepatitis C viral load test with an ultrasensitive assay and you have a viral load that is nearly non-detectable. Yes, I agree that you need follow up for that but this is quite encouraging.

You should do well on Atripla - just remember not to miss doses.

As for viral load testing for HIV and HCV: patients with high viral loads with HIV have more than 100,000 copies/ml. A high viral load for HCV would be >800,000 IU/ml.

Hep C exposure
Hep C and Pregnancy