latest update on valtrex. does this mean i have to wait how long to get an HIV test. Please help me with an answer Barbara.

Hi Doctor,

THere is a recent update on the body.com

http://www.thebody.com/updates/2007-03-01.html

Herpes Treatment Can Control Herpes and HIV Viral Load, Study Finds Treatment with the herpes drug Valtrex (valacyclovir) not only reduces the viral load of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), but also reduces HIV viral load in women coinfected with HIV and HSV-2, according to new study results. Although its HIV-fighting ability was modest, the suppressive effects of Valtrex on HIV viral load appeared to increase with time, and were enough to suggest the drug may help slow HIV disease progression. However, more studies are needed to confirm these results. (Web highlight from aidsmap.com)

My situtation is that i had taken valtrex for HSV 2 in 2004 following a exposure with a prostitute. Later i got tested for HIV, antibody test and the result came up negative. I got tested for HIV 2 years after the exposure. I dont have any exposures in the two year duration or any time after that until now, and i will never do that, after i went through so much.

My question is since the new study says that "Study Finds Treatment with the herpes drug Valtrex (valacyclovir) not only reduces the viral load of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2), but also reduces HIV viral load in women coinfected with HIV and HSV-2, according to new study results. Although its HIV-fighting ability was modest, the suppressive effects of Valtrex on HIV viral load appeared to increase with time, and were enough to suggest the drug may help slow HIV disease progression.". DO you think valtrex has an effect on the hiv antibody test result, like a false negative or a late sero conversion.

I took the HIV test two years after the exposure in 2006. Please help me out. what should i do, should i wait for more time to get tested?

No I would not expect that Valtrex would have any effect on your antibody testing.

Please forward all future HIV questions to the HIV forum.

Alpha FetoProtein Test
HBSAG+