web site??

I receantly read a web site that says that HCV can live up to three months outside of the body. Is this really true. My children have a friend who has HCV. Please answer. I am finding myself not wanting them to play with her.

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

This is not true.The hepatitis C virus is rather strong, but only can susvive for hours to some days depending on the environment.It needs contact with the blood to be infectious.It is not trasmitted in the usual activities,and certainly I doubt very much, your children are at any risk at all.You only need to explain to them, that in the remote possibility of bleeding, the friend should cover the wound.Your children will have no risk at all, even if blood covers unbroken skin, unless blood goes in active contact with open wounds.

hepatitis B
treatment for children?