For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Confused: Hep B Vaccination Booster Dose

For children born to the mothers of Hep B +ve, after a complete course of prescribed vaccination was already given (0,1,6 months), when shall we go for the booster dose? The child is HBsAg-ve and has antibodies developed as indicated by lab tests. He is 9 years now. Need your expert opinion as many doctors are giving us different answers

The vaccine worked and that is great. Surface antibodies can last for a very long time.

I would only boost when the antibody levels decline to lower than protective levels. Right now he has no immediate risk of acquiring HBV so I would not be concerned. In reality he is no different than any other child who gets vaccinated for hepatitis B since he got through the perinatal period transmission free. Certainly great news.

high ALT. Hep C neg
Criteria for HBV-DNA +ve