Jul 4, 2007
Dear Dr McGovern,
I hope all is well with you, Dr M. One q about alt/ast. What is the 'normal' level for a male, 53 yo? I take lipitor for cholesterol.
My score is ast 28, alt 42.
Any advice you can give me is much appreciated. many thanks.
| Response from Dr. McGovern
"Normal" varies by the laboratory where you get your blood tested. You need to know the normal range on your blood test from your specific laboratory.
Your AST and ALT appear relatively low. A mild increase can occur in conjunction with Lipitor - not a concern as long as they stay relatively low.
If you are taking cholesterol medications, you will also want to pay attention to your weight and staying trim since fatty liver can also cause liver disease.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Loose Stool After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Vaginal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Testicles After Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Vaginal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Kissing Cold Sore Worried I Have HIV
- What Is The Shot You Get For Std's?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.