Recently diagnois with HCV 1b

my husband of 1 year was recently tested positive (I tested negative) for HCV 1b; his mI was 5M and AST/ALT 78. Does he have chronic or acute HCV? He doesn't want to start the program but might get an liver biopsy. His stomach is very large and he still drinks wine and beer. Please help I'm very concerned for him and me in contracting HCV.

If he doesn't have recent onset of risk, he probably has chronic hepatitis C.

Alcohol (wine/beer) will increase his risk of liver damage. I would recommend limiting this to a minimum. No one knows what is a safe minimum but one or two drinks maximum would be my limit tops!

Yes a liver biopsy will be very helpful to assess the amount of damage.

The risk of sexual transmission is very low - about 1 to 2 percent among monogamous couples. However, condoms bring that risk to zero..

Hep C cure
normal alt/ast?