Regimen Duration Response

In response to your response:

Yes, I do (or should I say, did) have a favorable genotype, but no, I had a monster viral load: 700,000 or so.

I was treated about 5 years ago with Peg-Intron only, and had relapsed at my 6 month lab; but both times, I did go non-detectable right off the bat. Without the RBV, and with a CD4 around 350, I was able to get through all 48 weeks the first time without much complaint (except for the first few weeks). The second time around, with the PEG/RBV + CD4 decreasing to 100, it was about 10 times worse!

It's funny how doctors quote different response rates; mine had the audacity to say 80%, but I agree more with what you say--the best I could find in my readings was 68%.

And you are right regarding prevention of HCV--even though I got it from my hemophilia medicine, and that shouldn't be a problem anymore, I certainly could get it elsewhere, and that certainly wouldn't be cool, after having gone through all of that!

The only bad remainder would be my TSH; but I may have been undiagnosed hypothyroid before the regimen, so can't necessarily blame it on the PEG/RBV. I stopped taking the levothyroxine to see if the condition was just induced by the regimen, but no such luck, I guess. Not as bad as it was though--80 during the regimen, 6-8 while on levothyroxine, and now having been off it for two months, it's gone back up a bit to 27. Oh well, pills are easier than needles; and levo is far far cheaper than PEG/RBV!

Usually the TSH is checked before treatment. I would suspect that your hypothyroidism is due to interferon, which can cause hypo or hyperthyroidism.

Yes thyroid replacement hormone is thankfully easy to take!

Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing your story.

hep c and tattoos
HEP C